Whole Counsel Theology

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Baptist Covenant Theology

     For the longest time, I really didn't know what Covenant Theology was, especially not Baptist Covenant Theology. I had heard some objections raised against CT in general, and looked up a chart[1] that explained a few things. However, it wasn't until I ran across these audio files from the 2005 SBC Founders' conference (not to mention some of Sam Waldron's recent articles) did I really understand it properly, and I'm definitely convinced by it. I'm happy to say that I'm a real Reformed Baptist now, not just in my soteriology. :)
     In any case, these audio files are well worth your time, and if you are looking for some good, modern information about Reformed Baptist CT then you're in for a treat!

SDG,
dbh

UPDATE (June 13, 2007): Please see the comments section for an important update.

____________________________________
1. The chart is available in PDF format here. It was a document from the website of the church listed in the document, but that website is no longer on the internet.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Waldron's book or tract, A Reformed Baptist Manifesto, is also excellent.

    God Bless

    Howard

    By Blogger Howard Fisher, at Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:45:00 PM  

  • Howard:

    That's one I'd love to get my hands on pretty soon. The audio was great, but I'd like to have something in print in front of me to examine.

    SDG,
    dbh

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Monday, June 11, 2007 2:58:00 PM  

  • Something I should note here:

    My current church leans more toward Progressive Dispensationalism rather than Baptist CT. That being the case, I wanted to make perfectly clear that by taking the stance that I have (which I am still learning about by the way), I am in NO WAY attempting to undermine my elders or the stance of my church.

    I am also not seeking to change the doctrinal stance of my church, and planned on limiting any conversations I would have about it to be between the elders (probably just the senior pastor) and myself.

    There. Just in case there was any ambiguity, I wanted to make that clear.

    SDG,
    dbh

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:39:00 PM  

  • Hey Dave old friend,

    Looking at the chart that you linked to confirmed what I expected. I fit closest with NCT (New Covenant Theology). I haven't listened to the audio yet, but I've downloaded them. Looks like good stuff.

    Jerad

    By Blogger jfile, at Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:37:00 PM  

  • Jerad:

    I thought that myself too -- until I learned what CT actually meant by a few terms and what the teaching of the Covenants truly was, not to mention the NCT dismissal of the law of God (even the moral law to a large extent if not completely). Worth listening to.

    SDG,
    dbh

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:01:00 PM  

  • By the way, the book that Howard mentioned as well as others from a Reformed Baptist perspective can be found at Solid Ground Christian books at this link.

    SDG,
    dbh

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home