Whole Counsel Theology

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Wimpy Preaching

Alan Kurschner has once again done a great service to me by reposting this article from Dr. White's weblog from a few months back. It asks the question, "Is your preaching wimpy?"

He asks some pointed questions in that article for sure, and I think any preacher and/or teacher of the Word of God needs to examine himself with those questions. I know I've slipped into the errors that Dr. White uncovers a few times, not speaking as boldly on a particular doctrine that I should have, and other things.

May God forgive me, and by His grace, may all of us who declare the Word do so unflinchingly, trusting that God will bring about that which He desires to bring about through His Word!

A Slave of Christ,
David Hewitt

1 Comments:

  • The dangers of Galatians 1:10 indeed loom. If we dare to be concerned with pleasing men, then we are not servants of Christ.

    The issue I was referring to was during a particular message I preached in front of my current church from Psalm 96:1-3. I said something (I forget what it was) about the doctrine of election and, knowing the theological climate of the church, backpedaled a little bit so that I wouldn't cause some kind of controversy.

    I wasn't going back on what I said, but I did do so how I said it. I now realize that I shouldn't have done that, and perhaps even explained what I meant and also briefly discussed what I wasn't currently addressing -- that issue of election, and deferred the larger discussion to a later time.

    I pray, by God's grace, that I would never fall into such an error again.

    There is no room for wimpy preaching to be sure! God's Word is inerrant, infallible, and eternal; it must be proclaimed boldly and without apology.

    SDG,
    Dave Hewitt

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home