Whole Counsel Theology

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Some more on Hyper-Calvinism

A while back I posted on this topic, and you can find it in the archives if you look around. :)

Recently, the crew over at Strange Baptist Fire has brought it to the forefront to explain it anew in light of recent accusations that Reformed people such as myself are hyper-Calvinists (which is not true). It seems that people tend to equate the belief that man is completely unable in himself to respond to the Gospel (which the Scripture teaches) unless God enables Him to do it with a person being anti-evangelistic.

I cannot really comprehend this, especially in the light of men of the past who held to these doctrines who were strongly evangelistic (such as Edwards, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Carey, Judson, and yes, even Calvin). The article can be found HERE and it provides some good insights into historical matters that I didn't provide in my previous post. It's worth your time.

SDG
Dave Hewitt

2 Comments:

  • Didn't read the article. (At least I admit it up front this time!)

    Together for the Gospel was an awesome conference. One of the things that impressed me so well was: Here was a schedule full of preachers who define their own theology as "reformed" (Albert Mohler, Ligon Duncan, CJ Mahaney, and Mark Dever with RC Sproul, John Piper, and John MacArthur). And to sit there and listen to them talk about the Gospel, you just KNEW that was of utmost concern to them. It was not nearly as important that God pre-destined us, as it was imminent that WE NEED TO PREACH THE GOSPEL.

    They extended that message even further to this room full of preachers (minus myself, a willing imposter for the week!) by saying that EVERY sermon you preach needs to find it's way back to the Cross and the Gospel.

    I was stunned to see how much focus was given to preaching the Gospel by these men. I think I was most affected by seeing things there done the way that they SHOULD be done. I am not saying that I was able to 100% agree with everything that was said. I hope no one would be able to say that.

    This was a conference by reformed evangelicals who championed the Gospel of Christ in the right way. It was obvious that they did not dismiss evangelism at all, regardless of their belief that God's "got it covered".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:06:00 PM  

  • Andrew:

    I didn't know you went there! I really wanted to be there too, and I can tell I missed something wonderful. Oh well, I am getting some of it secondhand! :)

    You're absolutely right -- we must preach the Gospel! All of those men you mentioned I'm sure would agree that God "has it covered" and will save his elect, but I'm just as sure that they would agree that the means through which God has it covered is the preaching of the Gospel! Without consulting the WHOLE COUNSEL of God, we miss this critical truth, and how sad it is when we do miss it!

    This is clearly the teaching of the Bible, and it is why we must preach, PrEaCh, PREACH the GOSPEL to EVERYONE, so that the elect would be saved and bring glory to our Heavenly Father. This indeed was Paul's mission!

    Thank you, THANK you, Andrew, for pointing out that WONDERFUL truth!

    Do it again! :)

    For God's Glory,
    David Hewitt

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home