Whole Counsel Theology

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rules for Engagement

There are a few things that I'd like to put forward here as rules for commenting. Really, the comments that people have put here have never been bad to my knowledge. Part of the reason I'm doing this is because of some things that I've encountered recently in regards to correcting theology here and there that I've witnessed on other blogs, and should I post a few things here, I wanted to clarify a few things. Be assured however, these rules apply for any post I write. :)

1.) I usually write about the things that I am dealing with right now. That is, I'll post on theological issues that I am currently thinking about. If you're curious what brings on my thoughts, well, there you go. :)

2.) I welcome correction. That is, if I am wrong about something I want to know, and if I publicly say something in error and am shown to be in error, I'll repent publicly. However, there are rules for correcting me (or anyone who comments here), and I fully expect ANY disagreement to be done with the full control of how Scripture says we ought to rebuke each other. If you want to object to something I'm saying, do NOT violate these premises. Read the article I just linked to, all of it, and be aware that if you do NOT post in accordance with the gentleness the Scriptures require you'll likely have your post deleted. You've been warned! :) In addition, if you are going to say more in a post than "Nice post" or a simple short comment and want to bring something to the discussion (disagreement or otherwise) please read the ENTIRE post before commenting. If you say something in a comment that was addressed in the post directly and it doesn't seem like you paid attention to what has already been written, I'll probably just point you back to the original post. :) So, quoting the part (using quotes, italics, bold, etc.) you wish to discuss is probably a good idea.

3.) Any argument you have against a position I or someone else takes needs to be supported with the teaching of Scripture in its proper context. Of course, you can post one or two verses and have it support your argument, but you need to make sure the context of those verses supports the interpretation you are giving them. If you are not a Christian and coming here, you probably shouldn't respond much except to ask questions. :)

4.) No cussing or profanity whatsoever. That should be pretty straightforward.

5.) I expect everyone who posts here to be open to correction just as I stated in section 1 for myself.

6.) No attacking people, period. If you disagree with someone, either here or abroad, then say so, and do so with the Christian charity I've already mentioned. Under no circumstances will insults be tolerated against anyone (stupid, moron, negative remarks about a person's intelligence or character, etc.). If something a person says is not biblical, then attack what they said (BIBLICALLY), and if a person is set in an unscriptural habit/practice/belief, then pray for that person. Not even Michael insulted Satan, and since he's (Satan) worse than any of us, I expect that people will treat each other with respect.

7.) Do NOT get defensive. If and when someone disagrees with you, keep your cool. When you're defensive, you're just probably airing your own sinful desire to save face, thinking "how DARE he say this/that about me/what I believe!" To help, try to keep this perspective: the very fact that you were able to think, read, breathe, and whatever else you needed to do to understand the comments that upset you -- those things were God's grace toward you. You deserve much worse than that person said, and such should be the motivation for praise and thanksgiving to God for His mercy. Respond with that in mind, please.

8.) "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." -- 1 Corinthians 10:31

9.) Personal preference here, but when you site Bible verses, if you don't link to them, please include an abbreviation for the translation you are using, (ie, ESV, NASB, NIV, NLT, CEV, ASV, etc.) Unless otherwise noted, for myself, I'll be using the English Standard Version (ESV) for everything.

Thanks you for dropping by, and I look forward to how God will encourage us through each other!

For the Glory of Jesus,
David Benjamin Hewitt

Labels: