Whole Counsel Theology

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Thanking God for Dirty Diapers

I hope you like the title. :)

I just got back from a bit of vacation with my family. We (my wife, kids, and I) went to the St. Louis area (specifically, Fairview Heights, IL) last Friday morning. Since I live in Indianapolis, the best route is a straight across on Interstate 70. Well, on the last leg of the trip, there was a very large thunderstorm we were driving through.

I actually like driving through storms. It helps keep me alert. :)

In any case, just as we were about to drive by the last rest area on westbound Interstate 70 in Illinois before you get to I-55 (which we were thinking about taking south to I-64 via I-255 and then to Fairview... I smelled it.

You got it. Our son Benjamin had decided to fill his pants and it was pretty obvious to me that he had done so. My wife is usually the one who notices stuff like that, but regardless, we needed to stop, so we did at that rest area.

Upon arriving, we discover that there is no power at the rest area. For those of you who have been following the news, the entire area, west of St. Louis to O'Fallon IL had a terrible bit of winds and a few tornadoes. 535,000 people ended up not having power, and I guess the rest area was affected to; we were just east of Collinsville.

About 15 minutes later after changing Benjamin in the dark (I had a flashlight, thankfully), we got ready to go. As we were getting ready to go out the door I listended to a trucker who said that over at the I-55 junction there was a tornado that went through Collinsville (a city we had to travel through to get to Fairview) and knocked power lines down on top of a truck right off the interstate. I didn't think much of it... until we left, and SAW that aforementioned truck and Collinsville in a bit of a mess.....about 15 minutes down the road after we left the rest area.

If we hadn't stopped, then I might not be writing this message. There was obvious damage on both sides of the interstate; it looked like the tornado went right across the highway.

So, that is why I am thanking God for dirty diapers -- or at least that one. :) God might just have used it to save my life, as well as the lives of my family.

SDG,
David B. Hewitt

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home