Whole Counsel Theology

Sunday, October 22, 2006

An Interesting Lord's Day

My pastor delivered a message today that attacked the Reformed interpretation of several passages (including 1 John 2:2 and 2 Peter 3:9). He also made a comment about "free will" to the extent of if we chose what clothing to wear, then we have free will, and the case is closed.

This came after he read some of Dr. James White's book, The Potter's Freedom. I'm still wondering how he came to such conclusions afterwards, but well, I just don't know very much. :)

God willing, I hope to procure a copy of the sermon (and make it available here) to make sure I'm citing him correctly, and then to go through it point by point. Further, this is only telling me how important it is to understand "free will" theology, and also tells me that I need to finish my posts on the matter.

SDG,
DBH

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Whole Counsel

    you are creating a large divide in theology, please be quiet for more than one purpose

    Anonymous

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 9:50:00 PM  

  • Um, I appreciate the warning, but if you want me to take you too seriously, you'll have to identify yourself. :)

    Secondly, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Creating a large divide in theology? Please do elaborate.

    SDG,
    David B. Hewitt

    By Blogger David B. Hewitt, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:22:00 PM  

  • A "large divide" in theology? What in the world does that mean?

    Theology is the study of God, and it is a most important study for a believer. It is sad that people are more interested in taking anonymous pot-shots from the peanut gallery than to discuss, defend and contend for the truth of God as found in the Scriptures.

    If you disagree with Dave here, come out and say it, put your name to it and hash it out like Christian brothers not like secret agents in some cold war.

    It is not Calvinism that splits churches, but the unrighteous attitudes of those opposed to discovering the truth of Scripture and really loving and working together for the benefit of the church. People who are so devoted to man-made traditions as to be unwilling to allow their presuppositions to be examined.

    I'm sorry David, I know this is a painful time for you. To have people accuse you of things and be unwilling to bring their concerns to you directly as commanded in Scripture is tough.

    You have my prayers.

    Micah Burke

    By Blogger Lockheed, at Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:10:00 PM  

  • "please be quiet for more than one purpose"

    What an odd statement. Should Jesus have been quiet? Basically, don't stand for what is right and true is the motto?

    If the purpose was stated, then maybe you would have something to interact with, but apparently interaction is bad.

    Want to come to KS? ;-)

    I have the same problem DH. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    Howard

    By Blogger Howard Fisher, at Friday, October 27, 2006 10:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home