Whole Counsel Theology

Monday, June 25, 2007

"Praying to the Dead" and Rome

     My brother a couple of years ago joined the Roman Catholic Church. Before he did, we had a brief conversation about Deuteronomy 18:10-11 regarding contacting the dead, and I likened it to praying to saints. He was quite upset that I would make that connection, saying that the passage was addressing witches and the like and that it didn't apply. Well, the passage does indeed address witches and such, but it appears to be a list of things that are prohibited rather than making them all refer to each other. I didn't press the issue at the time.

     Yet, Dr. James White recently wrote this article that deals with the matter quite well, providing good exegesis of the passage and applies it well to the Roman practice of prayer to saints. It's worth your read, especially if you have Roman Catholic friends you are witnessing to. I might point my brother to it too. :)

SDG,
dbh

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I believe I am having the same trouble with my brother. I think he'd like to justify his going to a Roman Catholic church with his wife. Yet I brought up the Marian issues. He is still struggling I think. I hope.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:40:00 AM  

  • It's very hard for me to understand why anyone would want to pray to anyone else for help, in the face of Christ's death and His sufficiency. Only God can show us any good. It is truly a form of idolatry to look for good from those who have been justified, the same as we, only on the merits of Christ.

    It was good to meet you today, and it's very nice to see pictures of your family. I am praying for your needs. We're going to be here in Indy living with my parents for a few months so perhaps we can see you again, and your family (my husband flies in about a week and a half.)

    By Blogger Heidi, at Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home