Whole Counsel Theology

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The 1689 London Baptist Confession

I have finished reading it, and have found it to be EXCELLENT. I can see why Reformed Baptists still reference it as their/our standard confession.

I strongly recommend reading it HERE. It will likely take a bit of time to get through it, as it uses a little bit of archaic language.

I would love to see this rewritten in modern vernacular and presented to Baptist churches as a proposal for a confession of faith. Since Southern Baptists hail from Particular Baptists anyway, it would be a good lesson in history as well as theology for our church members.

....of course, I've also often been called an idealist, but here's to hoping!

(HT: Patrick Hanley -- see, it WAS a short review!)

SDG

--- !!! UPDATE !!! ---

Thanks to a comment from a fellow blogger (b.preston) I have been able to locate an updated version of the 1689 Confession that is in modern English! Go figure, it is on the Founders website! You can locate it HERE and it will prove to be a much easier read!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home